I'm looking for some sort of small *nix friendly appliance that I can
put at the edge of certain wireless mesh networks.

That way, I can integrate some open source monitoring tools there and
test bandwidth / connectivity.  Nothing fancy, just maybe the likes of
iperf or Nagios ncsa that can give me some sort of extra visibility at
the edge.

I've heard good things about the Soekris boards, particularly from guys
in the BSD community. The problem is time and finances.  I'm not sure
that this is the best sort of solution, given those constraints.  But
it's one option.

Another option is just using Cacti's ping latency tool. In the past,
I've found that latency is a so-so way of telling how "full" a given
pipe is (not perfect, but better than nothing).  I could also, I
suppose, configure Cacti to poll each node to give me a reading, but
that is likely too detailed (but maybe necessary for certain nodes that
prove to be difficult).

If I had a place to rack a box remotely at these various sites, then I
could use a lower end PC. Unfortunately, however, I'm likely going to
limited to some sort of enclosure, hence the reason I'm looking at lower
end appliances.