From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of David E. Smith
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:23 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] just attended broadband stimulus seminar and WOW.....

Robert West wrote:
> Why should [big companies] invest
> their cash in building a market when we can do it for them and once it's
> about ripe, they can just walk in and pick it?  We need to do what we can
> protect our little piece of the pie somehow.

A small entrepreneur sees an opportunity, builds something that lots of
people want, makes some money from it, then a larger company buys it and
makes said entrepreneur filthy rich (or at least better-off than he
was). The customers win (they get the benefit of the new network
regardless of who built it), the guy that just cashed out wins, the
bigger company that buys the network wins (they presumably see profit
potential or else they wouldn't buy). I thought this sort of
sweat-equity-for-cash tradeoff was basically the American dream.

I don't see this being a bad thing for anyone involved.

David Smith
MVN.net

----