We typically hook the drain wire up to screw terminals on a buss bar,
like you'd use for the neutrals/grounds in a breaker panel. They are
only a few dollars at the hardware store.

This buss bar is usually bolted to the grounded rack or copper grounding
plate that the coax lightning arrestors use.

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:25:53AM -0500, Eric Muehleisen wrote:
> Scott,
> So do you solder or ground the shielded end at any point or just ground
> the drain wire only?
>
> -Eric
>
> Scott Reed wrote:
> >  From way back when I was an electrical engineering student, ground one
> > end.  Or ground every 10 to 20 feet along the run.  Otherwise you have
> > the potential for a ground loop, which means you have current running
> > through the shield and then through the tower.  That can induce it's own
> > noise into the cable.
> >
> > Here is the key: Single Point Ground.
> > The idea is to do your best to keep everything at the same voltage
> > potential.  So everything comes back to one place.
> >
> > So, while Jayson is right to a point about creating an antenna, the
> > solution is different than he suggests.  You want to have the drain wire
> > do what it's name says, drain the stray signals to ground.  For some
> > installations, using the metal connector on one end works.  That is,
> > assuming that the board ground in directly connected to the single point
> > ground.  My personal preference is to directly connect the drain wire to
> > the ground point, but the key is that you have one ground point and no
> > current flowing through the ground wires.
> >
> > Jayson Baker wrote:
> >
> >> If you don't ground both ends you're creating a huge "antenna" to pick up
> >> static and drain it right into your board/POE.
> >> Always use shielded connectors on both ends, and ground both ends.

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/