* Gary Garrett wrote, On 8/7/2009 2:34 PM:
Seems to me it is ethernet cable picking up EMP. I seem to lose a lot of Netgear routers lately. Seems to go right through the POE and gets the WAN port. Also Transmit side of XR2's. Always see receive side degrading after mid path lightning strikes even a mile away. Trango ethernet survives. Once we got a direct Tower strike and everything on the tower was shot, the only survivor was the top antenna a Trango 900 EXT. that was the only one with non-shielded cat 5.
Go figure.....
One of the things I remember is like some have said not have a ground loop. Also, usually one side of the cable should be grounded.

WHen I lived in South Florida and hada 35' tower for my ham and tv stuff, I put in a Joslyn (sp) surge suppressor in the electrical panel across the AC feed coming in and put in some GFI breakers for that stuff. I also had some GFI outlets running the equipment. Luckily never had a problem as South Florida has lots of lightning.

Leon
13:13:00