What do you mean by "do I think the same things would be happening?"

I have no love for the FCC under the Bush administration, and I think their
actions were either the result of blatant corruption or stupidity.  It's
hard to look at their regulatory history and not be suspicious of the
motivations for such a "pro-telco" agenda.

That said, the "competition" of the late 90s was largely "fake" in a lot of
ways.  One of the fundamental purposes of the Telecom Act of 1996 was to
force linesharing as a transitional stage while competitive carriers built
out their own networks.  Very little last mile buildout by CLECs actually
happened--most CLECs just rode Ma Bells lines and were basically just
glorified salespeople fronting private label bell products.  A lot of money
was made through various forms of arbitrage plays--which, given that they
sucked a lot of revenue out of the industry without adding any value,
weren't good.  Unfortunately, this sort of arbitrage mentality still infects
a lot of the telecom market.

On the other hand, the same arbitrage plays did have the benefit of making
dialin PRIs very profitable, making unlimited dialup Internet access
feasible and setting the general consumer expectation that Internet should
not be metered in the same way as normal telephone calls.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cable didn't have anything to do with this".
The market share, as well as the lack of regulations on the cable companies
was one of the main talking points behind getting the Tauzin-Dingell act
pushed through Congress.

Regardless, I think your general question is "would we need forced network
neutrality" if the provisions of the telecom act of 1996 were still in place
to some degree.  I think so:
- As previously mentioned, no one really pursued last mile buildout except
for the MSOs and ILECs.  This means that any competition is going to be
"forced" to some degree by regulations.
- Eventually, IPTV / triple play would still be the logical evolution of
service providers, whether they are ILECs, MSOs, or CLECs.
- Once they offer voice / video services, they have every incentive to make
sure that competitive services don't perform well on their network.  This
doesn't change if you go from 2 providers in a zip code to 5, they still
have the same incentives.
- If CLECs were still viable, then the regular M&A trends would have lead to
heavy consolidations. and there still wouldn't be that much more
competition.
- The basic problem that net neutrality solves is that traffic shaping has
the potential to fracture the Internet.  If application providers need to
pay more in general to send content to the Internet, then fine.  However,
the overhead of requiring application providers to negotiate with each and
every network provider in the world to ensure that they have a viable path
to the end-consumer essentially kills any innovation from anyone other than
the biggest of companies.  A "standard" of sorts is necessary, much in the
same way that power companies are regulated to ensure that their voltage is
consistent all across the US.

Still, I wish the past 8 years of regulatory actions had gone differently.
I think business customers, specifically, really got screwed by the last 8
years of regulation: residential Internet access is generally cheap, while
millions of small business are still stuck with $700 T1s as their best
method for getting on the Internet.  Had regulation changes not killed off
CLECs and killed line sharing requirements (or, at least cast enough doubt
on them to make any investment very questionable), I think CLECs,
unrestrained by having a big cash cow of existing T1 customers, would  have
made that space a lot more interesting.

-Clint Ricker