Wow... are we really going to start this _again_?

I started in 1997 with WaveLan 900mhz ISA cards in DOS based 386 PC routers using Novell drivers to make a router box. We have used WaveLan, Solectek, Orinoco, CM3's, 3Com, Trango, Mikrotik and lately Canopy. I have built a network from 0 customers to almost 6,000 wireless customers in Idaho of all places. We cover 30,000 square miles with over 90 towers.... and we own and maintain all of it ourselves... no phone companies, no cable companies.

Trust me when I tell you, right now, nothing else scales like Canopy. I have used and tested everything out there... you just can NOT scale to any size on a single tower (or even in the same regional area) without GPS sync. Your AP will not handle hundreds of customers without polling.

And, I can tell you now that I am buying AP's for _much_ less than you quoted.... and SM's as well... so, while I continue to install 250 new customers per month, you can tell me that I don't know what I am doing and I have no clue about equipment. ;)

Travis
Microserv

Jayson Baker wrote:
Yes, how childish.  Don't ever talk bad about Canopy to a Canopy Operator.
It'll get them all flustered and they start flaming.  I find it pretty
hilarious, really.  I've come to surmise that the reason EVERY Canopy
Operator gets so pissed off when you talk about anything non-Canopy is
because they realize $2000+ for an AP and $300-$1000 for an SM is so
rediculous for a maximum of... what... 14Mbps?  Ooo, it has a GPS antenna,
and ooo it will sync with other clusters in the area... never worked well
for us, because the other Canopy provider didn't buy a CMM and so was never
sync'ed.

Bleh.  Fine for them.  Less profit for them.  Makes them more likely to
fail.  When they do, and their subs switch to us, at least the cable is
already ran and the mount already in place.  :-)

Oh by the way, Smokeping indicates that most subs on our busiest AP have an
average latency of around 4-8ms.  And all those subs are limited to 6 up, 12
down.