Tom, great post! My responses inline below with your replies truncated for
the clarity of this thread.

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Tom DeReggi <wirelessn...@rapiddsl.net>wrote:

> You only owe property tax on property that YOU own, until the time it is
> depreciated, and its paid the the State/County that the property is located
> in.
> So if you lease equipment or property, you are not obligated by law (Tax
> code) to pay property tax on the leased equipment. However, if you agreed
> under contract to pay your leassor's
> property tax, then that obligates you to pay the Leasor. (Note difference
> between Fair Market Value Lease and Lease to Own Lease which may have
> differences in law on whether the leased property is owned by the leasor or
> leasee for Property Tax purposes. That question I'll leave to your
> Accountant)

Correct. I currently have  a Fair Market Value lease and it requires me to
pay the property taxes.

There are Expenses, Cost of Goods, and then there are Assets. You as the

 +

> So to answer your question..... Do you pay tax on every screw and Bolt?

Again, the reason for this post is to explore options if any. In business,
it seems taxes control much of what we do. Therefore, I wonder if it makes
sense to "expense" the radio like a screw & bolt, if possible?
Alternatively, maybe its better if you sell it to the customer or even give
it away.

> it can be hard to track what is owed in Property Tax in accounting systems,
> because tracking for Income and financial statements might be different
> than
> needs of Property Tax, so I track my property for Property tax seperately
> in
> a spreadsheet.  I wonder how larger companies deal with this, but I assume
> as companies grow larger, they probably have to work with a set of
> assumption to better automate their tracking.
>
> Tom DeReggi
> RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
> IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband

Another great question. Maybe that's why the satellite television companies
give the equipment away?
Thanks! -RickG