Maybe I'm sensitive or easily put off but the last Newsletter that we
received from the Connect Ohio division of CN had me "almost" confront the
CN coordinator at the meeting.  I know that the mission is to provide
broadband to EVERYONE and that includes those who can already afford access,
(?) but every newsletter I get seems to be pandering to who they are getting
their money from and doesn't have much to do with providing broadband in
rural areas.  (Many examples of AT&T big shots in photo ops with state and
local politicians donating PC's to schools and similar activities)

Here is the word for word front page article in their newsletter.  This
alone caused me to rethink any participation in their "efforts" or lack of.

( Link is here  http://www.connectohio.org/ )

How broadband changed my life

I am a 48-year-old married mother of four with what you can imagine is a
very busy life. My husband and I enjoy traveling, collecting and showing
vintage cars, spending time at our cottage on Lake Erie and sailing. Our
children range in age from 17 to 22, and we are currently hosting a
17-year-old exchange student from Brazil. Broadband has had two major
influences on my life:

1. It has allowed me to log on to my work network from anywhere. I can work
from home or check e-mails from the cottage. No longer am I tethered to my
desk at work in order to get work done.

2. It has allowed me to  further my education. I have recently gone back to
school to obtain my master's degree in Management Information Technology.
With my busy lifestyle, there is no way I could have realized this dream if
I had to attend classes at a bricks and mortar school. The speed and
convenience of broadband allows me to take all of my courses online, from
anywhere.

Uh..... Here's my keywords in this.  Vintage cars (plural) Cottage on Lake
Erie, sailing, exchange student, Masters Degree in Information Technology.

If I had to guess I would say that this person probably already had
broadband before CN came along in one form or another and from the way it
reads where she can go anyplace and be online, sounds like a wireless card
from a cell company.

Where is the relevance in this to what we are trying to accomplish?  Just
sounded like they were spotlighting someone that the people in charge could
identify with instead of the single unemployed mother in rural Appalachia
who is now able to sell her recipes or quilts or whatever to a world
market...blah, blah, blah.  A REAL change in someone's life, not just so
some well to do middle aged educational tech coordinator can check her email
while riding in one of their vintage cars or in the sail boat....  Sheeeesh.

"Look, look!  We helped your sister and now she can get her email while
relaxing at the cottage on the lake after a long day of sailing!"

Makes me sick.

Bob-