Tom,

Watchdog timers like you describe are useful, but they tend to be less
valuable than they used to be because newer software tends to be
multi-threaded instead of single threaded and also the interfaces are
smarter and do more processing on their own. This means there are more paths
that the software is taking that may not be part of the watchdog timer. It
is nice to have a watchdog timer to catch some things, but I think not
having one is less of a show stopper than it used to be. We use external
power controllers that can ping devices and can power cycle them if they do
not respond. So far, I like that better because more of the system is
probably tested by an external ping than by an internal watchdog timer. At
least that is the theory. :)

Thanks, Mark

-

-