From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Tom Sharples
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2009 12:31 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ubiquiti ready for prime time?

A hardware watchdog timer, typically, watches only one thing - is the
software and/or CPU still alive? If a software pinger fails to reset a
hardware counter or timer every few seconds or so, the timer reaches the end

of its count and resets the motherboard. It is a failsafe if everything else

goes wrong - something that happens more often than one would like when
you're using developmental drivers. Software watchdogs are a poor substitute

for obvious reasons - if the software or CPU is completely hung, the
software watchdog won't work either!

Tom S.