Having built my WISP from scratch with my own resources and currently being
debt free in my operations, I often wonder who the people are who so quickly
classify Mikrotik and Ubiquity gear as trash.  I am making a very good
living deploying such "trash".

My perception is they are either people who are not spending their own money
- they are working for the investor, or possibly borrowing or leasing the
equipment, or they are a vendor promoting their own high margin goods.
Those that are WISPs seem to have the perception that it is better to
install higher cost equipment, no matter what the cost, if it will provide
them an expected reduction in support costs.

What I have found in my area is that people who deploy such equipment have a
very hard go of it, mainly because the replacement costs during the storm
season eat their lunch.  My operational plan is different than some - I
focus on residential customers on the outskirts of town that do not have
access to Cable and DSL.  Those focusing on business accounts in cities
would understandably have a different perspective.  But I feel very
fortunate to have a sub $200 total CPE cost (sometimes sub $100) with the
Mikrotik-type solution.