>Once you get to say 1000+ customers, things like having the staff for
>service calls and time to repair for customers are often more important
>than the brand of radio or the original cost of the radio. We do spend
>more on payroll than radios, despite deploying lots of expensive gear.
>Keeping CPE prices down is appreciated and important, but less tangible
>ongoing management, troubleshooting, and repair costs must also be
>considered. The reduction in support costs isn't an expection, it's a
>reality and requirement in many situations.

When you're working as a startup, labor costs are essentially zero (and if
you're asian like myself, you can call on your kids/relatives/grandparents to
work nights and weekends -- the classic Chinese restaurant business model =)

However, when working with employees (and I don't care how smart / hard-working
/ strong willed you are, there's still only 24 hours in a day) -- labor costs
become a bigger factor as the organization scales

So this brings up a more interesting debate -- e.g., one-man band / mom-and-pop
vs. organizational strategy

As an organization, trying to run a WISP with 700 residential customers is a
complete waste of time, however, as a one-man-band -- an 700 customer WISP can
be highly profitable

The problem here is that there's a nasty chasm between what the one-man band
can handle and what an organization needs to support itself (e.g., it doesn't
scale linearly)

The picture looks more like this

700 customers -- one-man band (or equivalent) -- highly profitable

Then -- they start hiring employees to grow and scale the business

Unfortunately, there's a minimum amount of overhead required, and what was once
a profitable business is now bleeding red ink and needs to reach 2,000
customers before things get good again

Which creates an interesting question -- if you're such a WISP, do you just
stop and sit tight at 700 customers? Or do you "go-for-broke" by trying to grow?

-Charles