During high school and college, I had a nice summer job repairing and
final testing some expensive government electronics. It used skills I
already had, rather than anything from college. The people involved in
building what I tested and fixed didn't have any electronics education.
They knew their resistor colors, knew diodes only went one way, and
could read the labels on chips. They were holdovers from the declining
minicomputer businesses, and they were one step away from being replaced
by a wave soldering machine if the production volume were a little
higher.

When I was in college 93-95 at a reputable engineering school, I had an
EE roommate and many friends in the department. They went from math to
breadboards to FPGAs, imaginary logic circuits, and VLSI. Nothing as
simple as actually building or repairing things; that's for hobby or
lower end jobs. It doesn't make for star researchers or big business
inventors.

I studied computer science. You could graduate without actually opening
a computer or assembling a network cable. You'd have to be able to
program the computer with a variety of languages and a variety of
methods and algorithms. You'd probably get a nice job managing a team of
programmers or a serious software project after graduation.

I dropped out and started an Internet business like many did during that
era.

On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 01:28:24PM -0600, Blake Bowers wrote:
> No offense, but as also a BSEE, I offer that many people with
> a degree still have no clue about test equipment or simple things like
> soldering irons.
>
> I recall all too clearly a young lady who had her BSEE doing an
> internship with the FBI, who had no idea how those components
> were actually connected together on a board.
>

> Don't take your organs to heaven,
> heaven knows we need them down here!
> Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/