From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of David Hulsebus
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:04 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] That black magic

Mike, Interesting you mentioned soy beans. I have a customer
(900-WaveRider) who was installed for 5 yrs next to a corn field. The
crop was replaced with soy beans this past year and a month before
harvest, as the beans dried out,  we started having signal fluctuation
issues. We raised the antenna 10 ft and the problem went away. It was
their first issue in 5 yrs.

Dave

Mike wrote:
> I need to do a reality check with those of you familiar with knife edge
> diffraction as a propagation medium.  First, I should paint the scene:
>

> I have a corporate farmer almost 16 miles away who is motivated.  His
> options are satellite, dialup he currently uses, or us.
>

> A spectrum sweep of the property found absolutely no 2.4 signals.  By in
> large, these rural areas are very quiet.
>

> There are no trees or obstructions in the near field or out quite a ways.
> However, there is a ridge almost half way between us.  I am embedding an
> image of the path here created with alphimax.com path estimator.
>

> I have a test unit which is a 19 dB panel/radio with an AP fastened to the
> back.  It lets me hand hold a test unit and see what it sees on a laptop.
> Standing on the ground on his property we got an ALMOST usable signal in a
> short test.  He has a 35 foot TV tower next to the house on which we would
> install.
>

> Perhaps one would look at the path profile and common sense would dictate
it
> won't work.  However, I use knife edge diffraction successfully on a
handful
> of installs.  Besides, black magic sometimes trumps common sense.
>

> I have never used this technique where the ridge is close to mid point.
On
> all others the ridge was closer to the user.  All of them work except when
> tropospheric ducting enters into the equation, with one exception.  I have
> told the users this is a 98% link and it WILL go down during those events.
> Earlier this winter we had a few days of ducting which caused a couple of
> them to fade.  I saw a 15 dB fade on those.  Statistically, ducting should
> only affect this area 20 some hours a year.
>

> The single exception was when the obstructing hill had soy beans growing
on
> it.  That particular one went down in late fall when the beans were ready
> for harvest.  The previous 2 years the field had corn planted on it and
had
> absolutely no issues.  I think dry beans affect the signal because they
are
> no longer "row" polarized and randomly scramble the signal beyond use.
Once

<http://www.tamatoledonews.com/page/category.detail/nav/5001/Local-Columns.h

----

----