I'm not sure that Vyatta has much of anything over Mikrotik today, because
Mikrotik has matures to be be a very complete and reliable router package.

When we originally looked at Vyatta, Mikrotik had BGP bugs, and Vyatta used
Quagga and was maintaining it. But from what I here MIkrotik has stable BGP
for quite a while now, so that is no longer a reason. As well, Mikrotik
programmers are really good, its amazing they can produce so much for so
little dollars. But they aren;t really available to custom code something
that does not already fit into the Mikrotik vision.

But at teh end of the day, Vyatta offfers one thing that Mikrotik has never
been willing to do. Open their system, and have a mechanism to pay someone
to add code.
Vyatta does that well. They are expensive, but they have the skill set. And
there model is paid support, so pretty sure they'd accept any kind of paid
updates to teh distro.

We also had looked at Vyatta because we were searching for a open maintained
linux system that we could port our own proprietary management system to.
For us, we determined it was more cost effective and quicker for us to just
stay with what we had, but port it over to a newer Kernel.

Vyatta, is straight Linux, and can handle some really extreme speeds.
Easilly in the multi-gb. We did not like the Vyatta canned solutions,
because they didn;t to favor Dell systems, and most all teh Dell systems are
26" deep with limited port expansion. We found if we made our own systems,
we could select 14", 18", and 22" deep units that were more easilly mounted
in smaller depth racks, and still ahve the latest fastest processors.  Of
course Vyatta can be loaded on many other systems, other than the ones they
sell, but that shifts the support back to the buyer, and the Vyatta model is
most attractive to those that dont want the headache of self support.

I'd argue the more relevent comparision is to compare Vyatta versus
Imagestream. They are the two Open router platforms.
What does Vyatta have that Imagestream cant give you?

Well, Vyatta is a software platform, so it does give the buyer more options
on verious applications to use it.
For example, using community version at no charge in applications that can
survive not having support.

But the flip side is that Imagestream also offers a wide varietty of
configurations now right out of the box.
They have low cost models, and high performance models.

All three platforms (Vyatta, Mikrotik, Imagestream) all have a compelte
feature set to do 95% of what a buyer will need done.
I really think it boils down to what type total package you need.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband