BTOP Mapping grants given to States are  Federal initiatives. The states
have to answer and report to the Feds on their progress.

Basically they will report to the Feds, who they contacted, and who provided
info and who didn't. The State mappers have little authority to do anything
about whether you give them information or not.
But the Feds potentially could.  Remember it is FCC policy/law to provide
Form 477 data, down to Census track.

It may come down to a legal issue on whether the FCC has authority to demand
confidential information or not from provate companies.  When a WISP does
not provide info, whether the Feds or States make a stink about it, may
depend on the impact of the data that would be missing, and their real legal
opinion which I'm sure they would not truly disclose outside of court.

In MD, we were just contacted, and the mapping initiative is really a racket
for free money. MD had already started a very substanial mapping effort at
the State Level. But that is considered different. So with teh BTOP mapping
grant they got, they cant or choose not to use the pre-existing MApping
platform, and basically are starting a seperate project to comply to the
federal initatives. Basically DOUBLE spending, to get the FREE money. Or
maybe I should say different applicants would be beneficiaries of the
mapping funds.  The mapping group in our state was given to a legit group
that was formed by the state and gained many members of wireline and fiber
carriers.

They reached out to me with intent to try to amicably work with us, but they
were surprised by some of the comments that I made prior. For example, they
brought up the benefit of lead generation if I filed. I stated... "If they
were going to post my coverage and contact info for the world to see, I
wouldn't file because I dont want everyone from all over the place calling
me for service, because it would clog our sales lines with unqualified or
less dersirable leads, and that we make sales by precisely targeting our
prospects, and the areas and clients that are most profitable for us to
serve get targeted, since we have limited funding?  I mentioned we had
coverage to serve several million subscribers, but we only had funding to
install 20 per month.   They wanted subscriber level detail, I told them I
might give them Block level detail.  But the funny part was that the same
group just applied for a BTOP grant in round2 to provide fiber to most of
the state. So I told them I'd give them my mapping data as soon as they gave
me theirs. I told them the round1 applciation, proposed to overbuild our
entire coverage, and I'm sure the round2 one would also. I told them there
was a huge conflict of interest with me providinh them my coverage data
without them providing me theirs. I'd likely have to protest their governor
led Round2 BTOP application, and to provide my coverage data prior to the
announcement of success or failure of an award, would be a huge comflict of
interest, considering I plan to protest the BTOP application.   I asked
them, If I disclosed my coverage, would they be willing to carve that
coverage out of their application... They bypassed that question.

They said the Governor's office will be provided a list of providers that
complied and didn't. I asked, if they'd join my lobby effort to fight the
Governor's office to stop charging property tax on broadband investment?
They bypassed that question.

Actually.... There were three big Round1 apps in Maryland. One was State
led, and got turned down for many reasons, mostly because it was focusing on
overbuilding served areas. ($100 million in Fiber). The second was Maryland
Broadband Cooperative that legitimately was focussing on rural unserved
parts of the state.  Neither got an award for good reasons. In Round2, the
Governor changed the plan, and actually incorporated the MVC as a
subcomponent of teh State's grant, so that it would add credability to the
application. Basically it was a political move that indirectly said.... we
now have one unified application, and to get the rural parts served (MBC)
you got to also look the otherway when we through in some served areas that
that state wants.  They are absolutely crazy if they think I 'll provide my
data before the BTOP Round2 protests and awards are finished.

However, after that time period, we are very likely to provide full Census
Block coverage information to MBC. We want to be looked at as a ISP that
shares a possisitive vision for growth of broadband in the state, but we
will not give them everything they want in the form they want. We will
withhold things, such as we will NOT give any subscriber data, location or
count. We will simply disclose "coverage".

Our position is to convey the facts that we can cover vast territory with in
palce infrastructure, and Funding is the primary limitation to expansion.
But it will never help us to disclose the volume of our subscriber count,
for the public to see.
And we'll make them take us to court before we'll provide it.

I'd like to give an example, of D&B and Getting Leases. One thing we learned
is that Giving D&B info hurts you if you give them info that proves you dont
meet the qualification of lenders. For example, If a lendor wants to see
that you have over 10 employees, you would not want to tell D&B to list that
you have only 5.  Its better to not tell D&B anything, and leave the value
at ZERO, so there is no proof that you dont qualify. And as well, by
providing no information, one would not have to lie to try to prove
compliance.  The same thing applies to other fields, such as annual revenue.
Less is more, unless the data is possitive info. My point here is that what
you dont tell people, they dont know, and what they dont know they cant hold
against you. You only disclose the info that helps you.

The same principle applies to marketing one's company.  If a provider is a 2
man company, would a fortunte 100 company select that provider as their
provider? Probably not. But the Fortune 100 company does not know that the
provider is a 2 person company, if no body tells them, and the provider's
reputation is good.   The day a provider has a few 100,000 subs, it will
help to disclose subs. But not when its a few 1000.

WISPs need to continue to promote it's COVERAGE!!! We are STRONG when it
comes to Coverage, But I jsut dont get promoting subscribers, because we are
NOT strong in subscriber count proporationally to our competitors.
But I highly recommend that WISPs continue to show our coverage, at a
broader range, what ever range a WISP feels is not a risk to disclose.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband