----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Luthman" <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] New WISP

>Good water tight box, $200+.

The ones from Tessco are 60-100

mks:  Cool.  I'll have to look at them.  Do they include a backing plate
pre-drilled for the MT boards?

>Coax, $1 per foot or so.  $12 each for connectors (unless you buy the cheap
junky ones then it's still $4 to $6 each).

I buy premade LMR400 and a N female bulkhead, I'd say $15 or 20 total

mks:  I buy premade jumpers nowadays too.  But I spec the premium Times
Microwave ends.  Stainless steel and copper/brass that way, no aluminum
outer or inner connectors.  Same for the bulkhead connectors, I use only the
o-ring ones made of stainless not aluminum.

>MT 433 AH board, $100ish

I only use one ethernet port and wireless card, 411ah for me.

mks:  If you don't do much on the box or have many customers at a site
that's probably OK.  I buy the units with more horsepower anyway.  Never can
have too much memory as far as I'm concerned :-).

>XR2 card $100 ish

I actually have never used the XR2 for this - only the compex cards...

mks:  They seem to work very similarly.  I kinda think they use the same RF
components.

>Pigtail, $15 to $25

>Bulkhead connector (NO more untaping connectors just to install a new
radio!!!!) $15 to $25 for the good ones with the o-ring and stainless
construction.

>Battery backup $100+

I typically just use a Staples cheap one

mks:  I use mainly APC brand.  At tower sites I'll usually run a 350 or 500
version.  They may be a bit less than $100.  At sites with 4 or more radios
I'll usually run a 1000 or bigger though.

mks:  I'm toying with the idea of running all sites off of deep cycle 12vdc
batteries though.  Probably optima units.  $200+++ for them but they should
last a LONG time.  Both from a voltage output standpoint and uptime if the
power goes out.  Just put a decent quality 12 volt charger maintainer on
them....  Still thinking this one through.  I'm also getting close to
powering all of the servers that way.  They make 12v power supplies for
them.  http://www.powerstream.com/DC-PC-12V.htm  Little spendy though....
But how cool would it be to have days of backup power and NO chance of bad
power getting to the servers?

mks:  The biggest problem I've run into with the APC backup units is that
they only trickle charge.  If the power goes out you can't charge the
batteries back up with a 30 minute or 1 hour hit with a generator.  I ran
into a problem with this two winters ago.  The power went off and on for 2
weeks due to freezing fog that just wouldn't go away.  Powerlines, trees,
phone lines etc. all kept hitting the ground.  With two generators I just
couldn't keep the towers up and running long enough to keep the backups
charged.  It was a major PITA and I finally just had to give up and wait for
the power to come back online.  I'm going to start picking up more
generators every year or two.  Might be cheaper to put in better power in
the first place though :-).

>Ethernet switch $50 to $100

I've used the cheapest switches from Wintronic that are $25/$35 for 5/8
ports and I've had only a few bad (2 that I can think of).

mks:  Yeah, bad ports happen.  Even on good switches.  Out here lightning
whacks a few every year.  I've found that the ones with a metal case hold up
better than the plastic ones.

>Backhaul to the tower, $200+

I thought this was a repeater from a customer SM?

mks:  I do a lot of that too.  It certainly helps shave costs.  MY cost on a
CPE install is over $200 anyway.  I know it can be done for less.  I'm still
addicted to my Tranzeo CPE though :-).  Don't forget to count the arm,
cable, staples, screws, cost of a drill, labor (even if it's you) etc.

1001 ways to skin a cat :-D

marlon

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue
that counts.”
--- Winston Churchill