From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of John Valenti
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 8:12 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 5MHz Channel Drawbacks?

I use 5MHz channels and like them.
One thing I have worried about, but maybe hasn't been a problem: if someone
else is scanning for regular WiFi channels, they won't see my 5MHz ones. So
they might pick a channel that overlaps my gear.  Generally my S/N ratio is
high enough that I haven't noticed this being an issue.

Oh, another minor issue is that I don't have a laptop that works with 5 / 10
MHz channels. So if I pull up to one of my grain legs, I have to setup a
radio and work thru that. It would be nice to have a regular WiFi channel at
the tower for convenience.  The StarOS people do have an Atheros driver that
supports 5/10MHz channels, but my favorite laptop doesn't have an Atheros
radio.

On May 9, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Robert West wrote:

> I have an area that's developed some noise and after watching the spectrum
analyzer all week I'm thinking of going to 5MHz channels there.  I'm using
5GHz UBNT APs with all MIMO CPEs.  I did a test with 5MHz width and was
hitting 32.5mbps TX, 13mbps RX throughput so that part is cool but are there
any drawbacks with going with 5MHz channels???

----