command:
ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.5 netmask 255.255.255.0

You're supposed to be able to do that from windows too, but I never got it working.

On 08/20/2010 10:50 AM, Justin Wilson wrote:
   I just get sick of configuring units, such as mikrotik, and switching devices and then having to wait until DHCP times out.  Pretty annoying when you have 50 Mikrotik boards to configure.  Takes longer for me to wait on DHCP than to drop the config file on it.
--
Justin Wilson <j...@mtin.net>
http://www.mtin.net/blog – xISP News
http://www.twitter.com/j2sw – Follow me on Twitter
Wisp Consulting – Tower Climbing – Network Support

From: Mark Dueck <m...@netking.bz>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:39:25 -0600
To: <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Changign DHCP timeout XP/WIn7

LOL.   if you have a Deliberant radio you might want to look into increasing it to 5 minutes because that's how long they take to boot up.  I tried looking into it a while ago, but did not find anything that easily.

Had to tell my customers to wait 5 minutes to startup the computer once they booted up the radio.

Mark

Changign DHCP timeout XP/WIn7     I know a good majority of you deal with the annoyance of waiting on Windows to timeout when there is no DHCP server.  Anyone found a fix for this? Registry setting?  Very annoying waiting on windows to timeout DHCP when you know it will not get one.  Sure a static IP shortens this time, but can be a pain in itself.  Looking for a hack to shorten the windows DHCP timeout down to something sane.

    Ideas?