Justin,
I know exactly why you are asking about this.  I have been aggravated by
this myself.  It's never a issue unless you are in a hurry and then it's
like it never times out.  You would think there would be a registry
setting but I have googled this and lots of people ask about this but no
one has the answer.

I have used a program in the past called netswitcher.  This lets you
have preconfigured network setting profiles and pick which one to use.
You could have one that setup for dhcp or one that assigns static
configurations and then you just select the profile and boom, it is
changed.  You don't have to reboot, well you do for w98 but not xp.
This even configures wireless cards.

LaRoy McCann
Data Technology