From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Forbes Mercy
Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2010 2:52 PM
To: WISPA General List; Butch Evans
Subject: [WISPA] My fun (kidding) weekend on call

Thanks for the comments Butch, this has been a busy on-call weekend with the
bandwidth manager dropping twice (It actually shut the power off on the server)
and several Mikrotik towers refusing to come back up until rebooted.  To try to
battle this I went to the WIKI for Mikrotik and entered this string:

/ ip firewall filter
add chain=input connection-state=established comment="Accept established
connections"
add chain=input connection-state=related comment="Accept related connections"
add chain=input connection-state=invalid action=drop comment="Drop invalid
connections"
add chain=input protocol=udp action=accept comment="UDP" disabled=no
add chain=input protocol=icmp limit=50/5s,2 comment="Allow limited pings"
add chain=input protocol=icmp action=drop comment="Drop excess pings"
add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=22 comment="SSH for secure shell"
add chain=input protocol=tcp dst-port=8291 comment="winbox"
# End of Edit #
add chain=input action=log log-prefix="DROP INPUT" comment="Log everything else"
add chain=input action=drop comment="Drop everything else"

Immediately after implementing this WhatsUp indicated:

[cid:part1.07000105.02090002@wabroadband.com]<http://monitor.wabroadband.com/NmConsole/Workspace/DeviceStatus/DeviceStatus.asp?nDeviceID=177>bandwdith

manager<http://monitor.wabroadband.com/NmConsole/Workspace/DeviceStatus/DeviceStatus.asp?nDeviceID=177>
 HTTP(Down at least 5 min)
<http://monitor.wabroadband.com/NmConsole/Reports/Full/Device/ProblemAreas/RptStateChangeTimeline/RptStateChangeTimeline.asp?nDeviceID=177>

So how can I protect my bandwidth manager and still monitor it at the same
time?  I guess I could disable HTTP monitor and do pings on the monitor
software.

Three more quick questions:
1) I didn't put in these lines because I wasn't sure what IP's to use, same
problem when I installed PRTG I'm not sure what IP's I need to monitor within
the system to watch:

# Edit these rules to reflect your actual IP addresses! #

add chain=input src-address=159.148.172.192/28 comment="From Mikrotikls network"

add chain=input src-address=10.0.0.0/8 comment="From our private LAN"
2)  The "add chain=input action=log log-prefix="DROP INPUT" comment="Log
everything else"" command indicates there is a log that I can watch foul
traffic, where do I find that log?

3) Is there more sets of examples for firewalls for my Mikrotik routers
somewhere, I'm searching WIKI's right now.

Thanks for the help, hope your weekend is going well, I already have logged 100
miles just chasing outages down in the last 12 hours.

Forbes