On Wed, Sep 08, 2010 at 07:40:07PM -0400, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
> Welcome to the Mid-range of traffic handling...
>
> There is nothing on the market place that is affordable  that will do
> what you are looking for.
>
> Best thing you can do is deploy two devices.. a Gig Switch, pick your
> favorite vendor... and a Core Router for BGP

Yep. I'd do either some sort of combination of multihop bgp or VLANs to
the customers needing bgp routing. VLANs really are quite simple at
least on procurve switches and mikrotiks and junipers. VLANs reduce
broadcast traffic on bridged networks so long as the vlans don't extend
to places they are not needed.

We have every sited routed with mikrotiks using private ASNs and BGP,
but we also have procurve switches on most sites' backhauls, so we do
extend a vlan across multiple sites if we want for a particular purpose,
and everything else at the sites is routed.

We have stayed away from using switches for L3 because of routing
limitations and for CALEA; I think it's easier to capture traffic on a
router than off a switch port, because if your switch has traffic
duplication you'd still need a router to route the traffic back to the
collection point.

> For Core Router in the Cisco world you are looking at something with a
> G1 or G2 engine ... (7206vxr or small 7301) range $5k to 10K on the used
> market place.
>
> In Juniper Land... M10i or an M20 (if you like redundancy...) cost on
> the secondary markets about $8 to $10k

We're using a Juniper J2350 with upgraded non-juniper RAM for 2 full BGP
and presently 150+mbps of Internet. Comes with 4 1gbps ethernet ports.
It was in the $2500 range iirc. There are switching features in it, but
I haven't tried them. I bought it to do BGP. We can do a real nice MT
for 1/3 that, but Mikrotik's BGP is not as well documented as
Cisco/Juniper and we were willing to pay for software that was a little
more mature/tested. We use MT BGP internally all the time, but that's a
much smaller BGP network than the Internet of course. The j2350 will
probably go to 300mbps perfectly fine and we'll upgrade again. There are
a couple J series models that go higher performance than this and will
be a lot cheaper than a M series chassis router. If you want up to date
software and initial tech support, buying new is the way to go
unfortunately. Unlike Cisco, you do get a reasonable period of tech
support and software updates without buying a separate service contract.
The BGP on this has been flawless. Juniper has a tool on their site to
convert cisco configs to configs for their OS which was quite accurate.
We upgraded from a Cisco 7507/rsp4 router which was running out of ram
and steam and sucking too much power.

> You could use a Mikrotik Power Router.. cost $ 2500 to $5000
>
> Only the Cisco 7301 and Mikrotik are small and consume little power...
> Everything else is big and consumes power.
>
> Most common, cost efficient network design would be to use GigE Switches
> in a ring or your favorite network topology, with one or two Routers
> located at DataCenters or NOC...
>

> If you find some other solution, that can do what you are looking for,
> please share it with us, cause we have been looking too... what I am
> sharing above with you is what we have found so far.
>
> Regards.
>
> Faisal Imtiaz
> Snappy Internet & Telecom
>

> On 9/8/2010 7:16 PM, Jon Auer wrote:
> > Needing full BGP routes takes you out of the realm of cheap Layer 3
> > switches...
> > You need to worry about TCAM (hardware route memory) in addition to
> > RAM on Layer 3 switches and apart from decked out Cisco 6500s or
> > greater you aren't going to find that.
> >
> > The Juniper MX80 should work. It is 2U and can have 48 GigE ports. You
> > should be able to get it for $30-50K.
> >
> > Alternatively you could try a multihop BGP setup like Cogent has been
> > known to do.
> > Setup one BGP session between the customer and your Layer 3 switch at
> > the tower. This carriers a route for your border router/route
> > reflector to the customer and vice versa.
> > Then setup a BGP session between the customer and your border
> > router/route reflector.
> >
> > Or you could drag MPLS into it but 2 simple BGP sessions seems like
> > the most straightforward solution to me.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 8, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Matt Jenkins<m...@smarterbroadband.net>
> > wrote:
> >> I am trying to find a Layer 3 switch that has 24 or 48 1000 base-T ports
> >> with enough RAM to handle Full BGP Internet Routes. Anyone have any
> >> suggestions?
> >>
> >> For those who wonder why.... I am upgrading all of my backhauls to
> >> support ~300mbps. In addition I need to be able to offer BGP connections
> >> to customers from this ring of backhauls.
> >>
> >> - Matt

> >> Archives: http://lists.wispa.org/pipermail/wireless/

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/