The optimal answer is to mount it right above your Mikrotik, pick a good separation frequency then move all your M2/M5 stuff over to it first for Airmax then make all your new installs with Airmax to it. We've done this in transitioning towers over, now our UBNT M5 has more people on it than the original Mikrotik which has a comfortable 35 non-M subscribers. Again, remember to turn on Firewall rules, consider bandwidth shaping and put in rules for icmp and block 255.255.255.255 then it will give much of the same protections that you are used to on Mikrotik.

Forbes Mercy
Washington Broadband, Inc.

On 9/13/2010 11:30 AM, Steve Barnes wrote:

Forbes, so are you saying: if I change and go to a Rocket with Airmax dual pol antenna and I have a client with a UBNT Bullet M2 HP Connected to a Laird 24Dbi Grid Vertical only dish, that even though the Bullet has Airmax as part of it, it wont connect. Or are you saying that all your clients need to be new with Airmax ability?

*Steve Barnes*

General Manager

PCS-WIN <http://www.pcswin.com/>

RC-WiFi Wireless Internet Service <http://www.rcwifi.com/>

*From:* wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] *On Behalf Of *Forbes Mercy
*Sent:* Monday, September 13, 2010 2:11 PM
*To:* WISPA General List
*Subject:* Re: [WISPA] Taking the plunge

>From personal experience I can tell you that you will be very happy when you make the switch. I just replaced three Mikrotik BH/AP units, pings went from their rather wild 30-120ms swings to a steady 15ms no matter what time. Just be ready for three things, you can't put usernames in the ACL like Mikrotik, there is less routing because UBNT expects filtering to be done in your router before their equipment, and it will never go down because it's just a transparent bridge so traffic that would have overwhelmed Mikrotik equipment and crashed the LAN port won't happen on Ubiquity. Oh and you're right, I've found that if you use dual-polarity you can't mix that with non-dual and connections with non-, its far better to have all Airmax running rather than a mix, this means replacing CPE so that all customers on that tower are the same equipment, spendy (relative to UBNT's low cost) but worth it.

Forbes Mercy
Washington Broadband

On 9/13/2010 10:31 AM, Steve Barnes wrote:

All my APs are Mikrotik. My CPE’s are a mix of Tranzeo and UBNT. I have a AP with 58 Clients on it and starting to get complaints about slowdowns. They are all setup 10 MHz channel 802.11g. This is a tower that due to contractual issues I cannot add anymore equipment. So I am considering taking down the Mikrotik and 120 degree sector and putting up a UBNT Rocket and Airmax 120 sector. It will take time to physically switch all my clients to new UBNT Airmax equipment but would like to get it done before the snow flies.

Has anyone down this? Success? I know I cannot turn on Airmax till everyone is on the UBNT with that capability but does it work fine till you get it on?

*Steve Barnes*

RC-WiFi Wireless Internet Service <http://www.rcwifi.com/>