The problem with the Radio Mobile plots is that they are just image
overlays. Shape files are referred to as vector files similar to what
Autocad files are. What that means is that the file is a series of
instructions of points and instruction on how to connect them to create
lines which render at the proper scale and proportion at whatever zoom level
the map is rendered. You can equate this to a picture that becomes pixilated
when you zoom in too far.

To answer your question, I know of no free tools to do what you mention
(although they may exist but I don't use them because I have tools for the
job already). The process would be to take your image in to some sort of
mapping program and calibrate the image so that the software knows the
latitude and longitude of any pixel in the image area. You would then have
to do some process which would create an outline of the coverage area to
develop a polygon line system. This polygon is not a line but a series of
instructions using points and commands on how to draw the line at any given
zoom level.

I do these things in my GIS software and it is a tedious process.

One could always hand trace the coverage area using Google Earth. Many did
this for the original map.

Brian