The towers that survive the best for me are the ones that have lots of ground rods. minimum 7 8' rods in a 35' or more perimeter. All interconnected with large copper wire. For the ones I have installed we run a wire 35' out from each leg. One rod at 18', one at the end. All the 18' rods are connect around the loop (triangle.) All the 35' rods are connected. One right at the tower that is also the ground point for all the electronics. All the radials connect to this rod and the tower.

The theory is to get a large enough area you can supply enough electrons so that the charge between the air and the ground is never enough to allow lightning to form. It also provides a fairly low impedance to ground for induced charges from nearby strikes to help reduce the damage to equipment on your tower.