This reply represents my opinions and is not an official position of WISPA.

There is no official position within WISPA regarding Net Nuetrality that I
have ever seen. If there was then we would likely see it on our website and
in our filings.  The general consensus I have seen is that our focus is best
placed in other areas. Nobody in WISPA wants pure Net Neutrality. There is
some discussion that many believe that it should be applied to national
carriers (those who sell pipes to other providers) to assure that the main
pipes feeding WISPs are not turned into tollways for every piece of content.
I am of the opinion that the larger national retail broadband carriers
(CableCos, Telcos and Cellcos) will do the fighting to beat it no matter
what position we take. So picking our battles is where I think we need to
be. Net Neutrality is not the biggest obstacle we face.

If auctions sell all the prime spectrum to the highest bidders then this is
a far bigger obstacle to our future. If an Internet  Tax (aka re-purposed
USF and / or CAF) are allowed to come into play this will seriously harm
WISPs as these will almost certainly be limited to ILECs, RBOCs and CMRS
carriers. This will put many WISPs into the unfortunate position of having
to collect taxes from their customers and in return seeing none of the money
going to them. Worse it will help pay their competitors to put them out of
business. So I believe WISPA is fighting more for spectrum issues and is
working on how to position themselves regarding Internet Taxes. The USF
issue may become tricky as we have many WISP members who are also ILECs and
CLECs who would likely support some forms of USF. I am not in that category
at all. I want to see ZERO INTERNET TAXES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER.

I have what I believe is an interesting slant that WISPs could benefit from
regarding Net Neutrality. At this point there is enough fighting between the
larger interests that nobody is really concentrating on an opportunity I
feel we can all take advantage of. If we all upgrade our networks to meet
Net Neutrality requirements in the future then an interesting benefit
happens for our industry. Cellcos look at Net Neutrality as being absolute
toxic to their models. They want to control all content and charge a premium
for every bit that passes through their over-priced networks. This is
their Achilles heal in my opinion.

If we were to work toward expanding upstream and backhaul capacity, lowering
subs per AP and lowering the bit over-subscription levels on our networks
then we could use Net Neutrality principles as a marketing tool to give us
an edge over the other alternatives including satellite and cellcos.
Interestingly I am of the belief that I hope Net Neutrality fails not
because I want to sell premium access to content to my subscribers but
because I feel that I can use the idea of equal access to all content to
make my service a better option to my customers than satellite or cellcos.
In the end it means a more robust network which is always a good thing
regardless of whether a regulation tells me to do it or not.

Within a year I plan to have my network running at Net Neutrality abilities
and at the same time hoping Net Neutrality regulation fails. I am covered
either way as I see it. I believe in the long run that those who embrace the
equal access principles of Net Neutrality, whether it is mandated or not,
will be the carriers of choice by most all customers. I also believe you
will see television over broadband becoming more and more prevalent which
will be tough to support but will help drive adoption of fixed wireless
(those who have robust enough networks to handle the load) in rural areas
and fiber in urban deployments.

So should WISPA try to fight the Net Neutrality battle or focus on other
issues? You guys know where I stand. If anyone wants to be part of the
effort to decide what WISPA does then join us. We can use your help.
John Scrivner