At 5/25/2011 03:42 PM, you wrote:

>Hello all
>
>Can anybody on the list assist or point out links to find out more
>on FM radio (87.5 – 108MHz) band plan and regulations regarding the
>FM radio stations and it transmitters.
>
>My question is In practical what is the minimum distance (FM zone)
>between FM stations and the transmitter power output can be used
>without causing any interference between the 2 stations, say station
>A operating on 87.5MHz and station B operating on 87.7MHz within the
>same small town/village.  What is the minimum spacing (KHz) can be
>used if the 2 stations operate in the same town each operating on 100KW
>
>Thank you in advance

The FCC rules for FM stations work two ways.  Commercial stations (92
MHz up) are based on a Table of Allocations, which is only modified
by petition.  It has to meet interference rules but that alone
doesn't dictate what can be done.  Stations are assigned license
classes, each with power limits, and there is a table of distances
required between stations of certain classes at given channel spacing
(0-3 channels).  These hve gotten complex.

The educational band (below 92) is generally licensed based on
non-interference rules.  Low-power stations on any frequency are also
based on non-interference rules.  These have, I think, recently
changed.  Under these rules, which also apply to "short-spaced"
allocations, stations are "protected" out to a certain predicted
signal strength contour.  The signal within the protected contour is
then protected against interference by certain limits.  Co-channel
interference must be 20 dB less than the protected
signal.  Adjacent-channel interference must be 6 dB less.  A 2nd or
3rd adjacent channel (400-600 kHz) must be no more than 40 dB more
than the protected signal.

I think the Low Power FM rules are more tolerant, and no longer
protect third-adjacent channels, but this was overriden by Congress
(thanks, NAB :-( ) and only overturned last December.  So the FCC
will have new looser rules, but I haven't seen the final text.  FM
broadcasting is in the FCC Rules Part 73.  Here's a copy:
http://louise.hallikainen.org/FCC/FccRules/2010/73/

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/