On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 19:17 -0500, Josh Luthman wrote:
> The authors are paid either way.  Doesn't matter if 1 or a million
> copies are sold.  Can't feel bad for them as they aren't directly
> effected.  That is publicized falsely.

This is not entirely true, or is misleading at best. Musicians are often
paid percentages based on sales of CDs.  Actors are often paid based on
sales levels.  Producers of both music and video entertainment are paid
the same way.  I am not speaking out of "what I've heard".  I have
family that are in the music business and have been for a long time.

> Stealing a car by comparison is different...the original owner still
> has it and completely without change.

I have no idea what this sentence means.  However, the only difference
between stealing a car and stealing music is that when you steal a car,
you are taking something that has been paid for by the owner and is a
chance for profit when it sells.  With music, you are taking money from
media companies AND all those who make their money as a percentage of
the sales.

> Do I think it is wrong to hurt the media companies?  Yes.  But that
> doesn't mean what they do is all peaches and cream.  Terrible
> contracts with cable/satellite and Netflix drive consumers to go the
> easier way.

This is without a doubt true as well.  However, making a bad decision in
one area (or a series of bad decisions) doesn't mean that it's ok to
steal from them or those they represent.

I'm tired of this argument.  You folks can believe whatever you want,
but it is wrong to steal.  It doesn't matter what pretty paper you wrap
it up in, that's what it is.

* Butch Evans                * Professional Network Consultation   *
* http://www.butchevans.com/ * Network Engineering                 *
* http://store.wispgear.net/ * Wired or Wireless Networks          *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/ * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!    *
*          NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979                 *