From: Jim Patient <jpati...@linktechs.net<mailto:jpati...@linktechs.net>>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:40:14 -0500
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org<mailto:wireless@wispa.org>>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] LMR Cables

Disclaimer:
This was originally stole from Bob Hrbek and modified a bit.

If you do this, you will never have a problem with the connector leaking.

This is the process we, and the cell companies (and probably anybody that
doesn't have water penetration issues uses).
Get yourself some 3M electrical tape from Home Depot/Lowes/True Value/Etc.
There are two different common models of electrical tape. Super88 and
Super33 Don't SKIMP on quality electrical tape....it isn't worth it!!!
Use Super33 when it is REALLY cold (below 40* F...that is cold for Vinyl)
out and use Super88 all other times.
1) Make sure your connectors and cable surfaces are clean and free from
grease and dirt.
2) Wrap double layer of "courtesy tape" over the connector area and about 2
widths of tape, in both directions beyond your connector and shrink wrap (if
any). I usually start at the top with one wrap then flip the tape over sticky
side up to go over the connector then flip it back over at the bottom with
sticky side down to go back up. This way there is no adhesive on the
connector and it can be easily removed. We call it courtesy tape because if
you ever have to open the connector again....you'll be thanking the guy that
wrapped it up this way.... :)
3) Get yourself a roll of sealing tape from www.wlan.com
X 10 FOOT LENGTH, 3-3/4” wide works well or Mastic from the hardware store.
Cut yourself a piece that will wrap around 1 1/2 times. Pull the wax paper
off the sticky side and smash it onto your connector and cable.
Wrap one end of the mastic around the connector and start pulling the
Other side tight and complete the wrap. You should keep some tension on the
mastic as you wrap it around the cable. Not enough to stretch it out bad
but enough to ensure you have a GOOD solid seal against the under tape/coax.
Use your hands to keep working the mastic around the connector until you
have a nice looking ball of mastic. Push it against the enclosure to keep
water from getting behind the connector.
4) Use the electrical tape to again, double wrap all areas of the mastic and
go beyond the edges but make smooth transitions off the mastic to keep any
water from making into any airways under the mastic. Be sure to start at the
bottom and work up on the last wrap to “shingle” the water out.
Don’t stretch the last 3 inches of the electrical tape and break it. This
causes it to come loose. Cut it and secure it without pulling. I usually put
a wire tie around the end to be sure it doesn’t come loose.
We have never had an issue with water in a cable or connector when this
procedure is used.

Jim Patient
Link Technologies, Inc.
314-735-0270 x102