I'm not saying I disagree. John's prediction may very well be the outcome.
I'm just saying, I heard the same arguement in 2005 about 2010 predictions,
and we aren't dead yet.
I've never questioned the service provider's interest in going after that
market. I just question the consumer's interest in accepting it. Right now
Mobile wifi is fun and cool, because it is "new", just like any other Fad.
Last year it was mobile Facebook or twitter. This year its mobile "scrabble"
(with Internet opponents), something for parent to do while waiting for
junior's guitar lesson to be over. But evenually, the "fun" will wear its
welcome thin, because it wont be fun anymore. People dont like AD-HTTP-SPAM.
People want privacy. People dont want to be found.

My prediction for 2017  is that 90% of all Americans will have thrown their
Android in the nearest lake atleast once, yelling victoriously , "I have had
enough, I am done with the mobile Wifi, I want my life back, I am Free!".
And then they will probably go back and buy another one, because they
realize they should have a phone in case of Emergency or if their car breaks
down, becaue they feel helpless and empty without the ability to make an
outbound call from anywhere when ever they want. Or miss the security that
their kid can call them any time. There is a real need for that type of
communication.  But the "mobile wifi"?

In 2017, Wifi will be Passe. People will say, why am I doing this, Does this
realy help me? Do I really need to check my home fridgerator's temporature
remotely? Some people will look down on other people that use their mobile
Wifi in public, as if they are a rude persons that ignores those around them
just to stare at a small screen, or someone that has lost their ability to
socialize in a real way with real people around them.  To much of a good
thing becomes a bad thing. Wifi will officilay be listed as a "disease", and
a new branch will be opened at Betty Ford Clinic, for Wifi addicts.
Our children, the new generation which would have been raised on wifi by
then,  will be tough to wean off Wifi back to society. Sorta like daress
syndrum (not sure spelling), people will walk around  having these
uncontrollable urges and involuntary twitches every few minutes, where their
neck will slap to the side, as if they were checking their invisible Android
for the next Email alert. Cases of sleeping pill overdose would have
skyrocketed, for all those People that never got an ounch of sleep at night
because their cell phone beeps every 2 miuntes through out the night, and
their obsession forces them to actually check the alerts instead of turn off
their phone. Their treatment will be to get rid of the Android. AA will
expand to offer Wifi addict groups, which will be a successful program
because of the LIVE human social aspect of the group, something the
attendees secretly longed for as a Wifi android. Unemployment will be the
highest ever, and the number one cause for firing will be that the employee
couldn't focus on work or wasn't productive, because they were always on
their personal mobile wifi phone, instead of working..
Then Wifi Providers will start to think, why are we doing this? How can we
make any money if all our customers are in rehab and talk groups and out of
money, instead of in the stores shopping?

 The death toll from people getting hit crossing the street will skyrocket,
and the mobile Wifi will be the target cause. Insurance companies will
launch massive lobbying campains for federal action. Not only will it it be
illegal to drive a car with an android in hand as it is today, but by
federal law, it will also be made illegal to "walk" or "be in movement"
within 10ft of a street, while holding an android.  State's will love it.
The ticketing revenue will far exceed the revenue of traffic street cameras.
The most ironic part is, they APs used to serve the public wifi will be the
same APs that internet-enable the camera's snapping photos of the Walking
mobile violators. (It will be endorsed entrapment.) AD- revenue will no
longer be needed to fund Free-Wifi, and Google will not be happy with that.
All the pedestrian tickets will easilly pay for the wifi network management,
and the governor will not hesitate to defend his action argueing that the
additional funds it raised helped improve the Schools education system.

Then someone will reminance about the day when it actually felt free to
leave home, and take a stroll in the park without disruption, where they
could actually feel relaxed enough to want to listen to the birds. And then
they'll go dry their car fast, or go skiiing, free from wifi. And they'll
realize that every day could be like that again. And they'll start a new
"movement" for improveing quality of life, that doens't include wifi. And
then the marketers will recognize that it really is more effective to have a
big poster in the window,  maybe with a pretty girl on it, saying "come on
in, we have a sale", or have some cool merchandise samples in the window
like the old days. And realizing with the consumer looking at small Android
phone all day, they miss all the "effective" full size advertising.  Retail
companies start to go out of business, because consumers now have the
convenience to check Amazon.com's price, before buying from a retail. People
become freeloader to view material in stores in person, but often will place
the Amazon order from their android while still standing in the retail
store. of all the nerve!  So Retailers get outraged, and protest Wifi in
public places, because of the harm it is doing. Because of NetNEutrality
stores wont have the right to influence what content is delivered and
allowed on the Wifi network, so the only solution is to get rid of the wifi.
If APs are not removed or reduced significantly voluntarilly, there will be
a riot  where the people go wild and start ripping down all the APs in
sight.  MAybe one of those Pedestrian tickets will set off some lunatic who
will start sabotaging or blowing up APs, sorta like the Sniper, arguing he's
rebelling from big brother.  It wont be popular being a Wifi provider,
people will look at them like they look at the tobaco industry today.  Maybe
even make it illegal in some places, like no-smoking.

You may find my little prediction a bit over the top, and of course I was
having some fun with it.  (to have a little fun and take a quick break from
a day of ruthless Linux compiling).

But lets look at reality... I'm seeing more and more "no-cellphone/no-wifi"
signs each day.  Keep an eye out for them. I see them in Opera houses,
Doctor offices, Hospitals, Theme parks, Cafes. movie theatres, fine dine
restaurants, etc.

Does disney world want you on the Wifi, or in the gift shop?   I can give an
example of a large venue, that had poor cell phone signal/coverage, and they
specifically disaalowed the installation of a cell phone repeater system to
improve it, because they didn't want attendees on the phone disrupting the
place with noise and loitering in the walk ways.  The venues cant stop the
Cell phones and cameras, because people need their phones. But they have a
huge amount of control on whether they allow in Wifi and APs, and in what
capacity. MOre and MOre Coffee shops are going out of business, and
recognizing the Wifi users are taking up to much table space for too long,
and just not buuying enough coffee to pay for it.

The truth is evevery one will have a cell phone ATT, Verizon, or Sprint cell
phone, which will have sufficient enough broadband for limited use. Limited
use is what the venue's really want. They want to advertise that they have
it (broadband), but they dont really want people to use it.  The Time Warner
and Comcast types are entering into a business that they cant win.  The big
telco already have the market, and Consumers dont need two Mobile providers.
The big telcos just have to much momentum.  Peobably teh only thing cable
efforts will accomplish is incouraging the big telco to honor net neutrality
rules, so consumers have no reason to switch to public low grade Wifi.

I had a case here near one of my cell sites. (similar things happened to me
at my several other of my cell sites) About a month ago, The city decided to
launch as 8 block Free wifi network at street level, advertised as a
cooperative effort of the City/county and one of my Wireline friendly
competitors. (notice they didn't ask the actual wireless providers near by
to participate on the project). The area is a Commercial high-rise district.
What good did this network provide? Was there even a need? I had offered
Free Wifi to that block for almost 5 years. (Although not for the last year,
cause when the AP died in a storm, I didn't bother to replace it). My cell
site was mostly used for commercial paying customers in 5.x, so it cost me
next to nothing to add the free 2.4 wifi. I dont think I ever had more than
5 people connect in all the years, allbeit I.didn't advertise the service's
availabilty, and signal strength was not as strong as at street level, and
may not have made it into actual retail suites. But even then, there was a
local wifi guy that offered Wifi in that exact area for a while also,
broadcasting from the roof of a couple short restaurant buildings.

Its just a science project for them. They built it, because someone thought
its what tey are supposed to do to keep up with the current trends, without
even qualifying a need. I just dont see the suits leaving their office
building to make a quick Wifi connections, standing on the street, or
fighting for the one park bench located at one specific street corner. It
was probably the most owrthless expendature and use of public money.  The
outcome is nobody will use the network, and they wont repeat the model wide
scale, unless grant funds require spending the money. The ONLY Possible
benefit might be that on occasion, once or twice a year tops, they close the
streets for a city day where vendors setup booths on the street for a mini
festaville. Its possible that on those days, the public MIGHT occasionally
connect. Why they'd use their wifi and not their cellular broadband, I'd
wonder.

I'm just not scared.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc