On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:44:45AM -0500, Ben West wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Could someone recommend a Mikrotik product, ideally one of Router
> Boards w/ enclosure, that would be effective for performing bandwidth
> shaping of ~3 dozen clients sharing a single uplink with 100Mbit/s
> download speed?  I.e., what product are you using for this purpose
> now?
>
> Ideally, the bandwidth shaping could enforce multiple profiles, e.g.
> some clients get 10Mbit/s down, some get 3Mbit/s down.  There would
> be comparable shaping applied on clients' upload speeds, but the
> correctly shaped download speeds are a higher priority.  Also, it is
> possible this uplink may be upgraded 200 or even 300Mbit/s, so it
> would be cool if the MT product (which I presume would have 1Gbit/s
> integrated LAN) could also handle an uplink of that speed too.

If you are currently doing 100Mbps and expect to do more in the
near future, I would probably go straight to the $500 RB1100AHx2.

If you think it will be a while before you actually fill the 100Mbps
pipe, it may be worthwile buying a $100 RB450G or $250 RB493G and
hoping the prices of the RB1xxx devices come down.

The RB4xxG series may be able to handle the 100Mbps requirements
depending on how you setup your queue trees.  But in my environment,
the RB493G CPU loading gets too high for comfort when we push in
the neighborhood of 75Mbps.  We only use 50 - 60 MB of RAM.

We have address-list based mangle rules feeding PCQ queue trees for
rate limiting individual customers.  Fewer than 150 IPs in the
address-lists.

lamb...@lambertfam.org