Thank you all for the recommendations.  I will be passing them along to my
friend.

This is the basic take-away that I've gleaned from your responses:

To manage ~50Mbit/s uplink effectively: Mikrotik RB450G

To manage ~75-100Mbit/s uplink effectively: Mikrotik RB439G

For an uplink much faster than 100Mbit/s: Mikrotik RB110AH

I am also telling him he should be able to continue using WinBox to manage
his new router, and that he also should be able to copy/paste relevant bits
of his current setup on the RB750GS to whatever new MT product.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Scott Lambert <lamb...@lambertfam.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 05, 2012 at 09:44:45AM -0500, Ben West wrote:
> > Hi All
> >
> > Could someone recommend a Mikrotik product, ideally one of Router
> > Boards w/ enclosure, that would be effective for performing bandwidth
> > shaping of ~3 dozen clients sharing a single uplink with 100Mbit/s
> > download speed?  I.e., what product are you using for this purpose
> > now?
> >
> > Ideally, the bandwidth shaping could enforce multiple profiles, e.g.
> > some clients get 10Mbit/s down, some get 3Mbit/s down.  There would
> > be comparable shaping applied on clients' upload speeds, but the
> > correctly shaped download speeds are a higher priority.  Also, it is
> > possible this uplink may be upgraded 200 or even 300Mbit/s, so it
> > would be cool if the MT product (which I presume would have 1Gbit/s
> > integrated LAN) could also handle an uplink of that speed too.
>
> If you are currently doing 100Mbps and expect to do more in the
> near future, I would probably go straight to the $500 RB1100AHx2.
>
> If you think it will be a while before you actually fill the 100Mbps
> pipe, it may be worthwile buying a $100 RB450G or $250 RB493G and
> hoping the prices of the RB1xxx devices come down.
>
> The RB4xxG series may be able to handle the 100Mbps requirements
> depending on how you setup your queue trees.  But in my environment,
> the RB493G CPU loading gets too high for comfort when we push in
> the neighborhood of 75Mbps.  We only use 50 - 60 MB of RAM.
>
> We have address-list based mangle rules feeding PCQ queue trees for
> rate limiting individual customers.  Fewer than 150 IPs in the
> address-lists.
>
> --
> Scott Lambert                    KC5MLE                       Unix SysAdmin
> lamb...@lambertfam.org

Ben West
http://gowasabi.net
b...@gowasabi.net