From: "Fred Goldstein" <fgoldst...@ionary.com>
To: fai...@snappydsl.net, "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2012 6:19:49 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ubiquiti Radios as routers

At 10/12/2012 07:06 PM, Faisal Imtiaz wrote:
>Being a Technical person, and a visual learner.. I am having trouble
>translating what Fred is trying to do with a Mikrotik, which he thinks
>it cannot do.

Actually, I said that I don't know how to do it, not that it can or
cannot be done.  It may be a documentation problem, that they never
wrote down how to do it.

>We build our Fixed wireless pop's with a Mikrotik Router doing the
>Routing Functions at each pop.
>Each of the Sectors are connected on their own port.
>    AP's and CPE's are setup as WDS Bridges.
>
>This allows us to create a routed network..... (clients on each AP are
>bridged) ....
>
>But, if we wanted to, we could also do Vlan's across this type of setup,
>just as easily, especially now since UBNT firmware fully supports vlans...
>
>What am I missing ?

If you're doing routing, how do you also do VLANs?

The VLAN is at a layer below IP, and (this is a key requirement) the
IP layer must be totally invisible to the box (RouterOS, EdgeOS,
etc.), and it might not even be an IP packet inside that VLAN.  If it
is still IP, the address space belongs to the client, not the ISP.

The Ethernet layer may require some kind of route-determination
protocol.  Since it's not a real LAN, STP doesn't really hack it;
perhaps (in RouterOS) HWMP+ can do it.  This protocol varies among CE
switches.  If it's an edge (CPE) switch, though, it doesn't need to
participate in route-determination.