MPLS does run over a IP backbone, but can use VPLS tunnels to create what
you are doing at layer 2.  Not to mention you would get all of
the benefit of Traffic Engineering, and internal routing giving you the
best of both worlds.  Why its sometimes called Layer 2.5, as it creates
tunnels inside your routed network, giving you fail over and multiple
paths.  With TE you can also reserve bandwidth etc. :)

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com>wrote:

> At 10/17/2012 02:26 AM, Jeremy L. Gaddis wrote:
> >* Fred Goldstein <fgoldst...@ionary.com> wrote:
> > > At 10/12/2012 10:23 AM, Tim Densmore wrote:
> > > There's a real market gap not quite being filled by our usual WISP
> > > vendors MT and UBNT.  MT has a new CPE router with SFP support.  This
> > > would be great for a regional CE fiber network.  Let's say you have a
> > > building (say, Town Hall) with multiple tenants in it, each with a
> > > separate IP network (say, Town administration, Police, and School
> > > Admin).  You'd want to be able to drop off one fiber with separate
> > > VLANs (virtual circuits) for each network, isolating the traffic from
> > > each other.  An MEF switch is cheaper than a real Cisco router but a
> >
> >I can't speak to Ubiquiti but Mikrotik RouterOS certainly supports MPLS
> >and VPLS (and LDP and OSPF and BGP).
> >
> >The design you describe is exactly what the majority of the
> >world is using MPLS VPNs for -- utilizing, of course, LDP and BGP (and
> >occasionally OSPF between CE and PE).
> >
> >Unless I'm missing something...
>
> You're missing something.
>
> I was specifically asking about Carrier Ethernet.  It's a protocol.
> MPLS is a different protocol which, in the marketplace, largely
> competes with CE.  I know RouterOS supports MPLS.  But CE is different.
>
> Disregarding that CE is much more multi-protocol in support than
> MultiProtocol Label Switching, whose multi protocols are, in general,
> IP and IP, CE semantics include explicit CIR and EIR support, along
> with CBS and EBS (burst size) specification, on a per-virtual-circuit
> basis.  MPLS does not have CIR semantics; it just assigns relative
> priorities, and is thus fiddly when offered traffic varies.
>
> At large volumes (once you get past RouterOS into carrier-class
> products), CE is generally cheaper per bit than MPLS, at least if you
> don't buy Cisco, which pretty much owns MPLS (it's their creation).
>
> Hamburgers are not chicken, even if both are often served for lunch.
>
>   --
>   Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
>   ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/
>   +1 617 795 2701

*Dennis Burgess, Mikrotik Certified Trainer** Author of "Learn RouterOS-
Second Edition <http://www.wlan1.com/product_p/mikrotik%20book-2.htm>”

 Link Technologies, Inc -- Mikrotik & WISP Support
Services

 Office*: 314-735-0270 *Website*: http://www.linktechs.net – *Skype*:
linktechs
* **-- Create Wireless Coverage’s with *www.towercoverage.com* **– 900Mhz –
LTE – 3G – 3.65 – TV Whitespace
**5-Day Advanced RouterOS Workshop -- July 23rd 2012 – St. Louis, MO,
USA<http://www.wlan1.com/RouterOS_Training_p/5d-stl-training-july2012.htm>
5-Day Advanced RouterOS Workshop – Oct 8th 2012 – St. Louis, MO,
USA<http://www.wlan1.com/RouterOS_Training_p/5d-stl-training-oct2012.htm>

*