At 11/30/2012 10:17 AM, Rick Harnish wrote:

I don't think it is fruitless at all. I'm sure there are a lot of companies (DSL, Satellite, Mobile and some cable) that are on the map but cannot guarantee sustained speeds of 4 by 1. Actually, the 4 by 1 criteria is what is being suggested in the rewrite. It has not been adopted yet.

Satellite and mobile coverage are not considered "served" for the purposes of finding a USF "unsubsidized competitor"; WISPs and wireline services are.

But Rick's last sentence is important: This is a proposal, not yet a rule. It is open for Comment. They are trying to find a way to give away more USF money, and disqualifying more unsubsidized competitors (WISPs) is one option on the table. Comments that take exception to that approach could help influence them.

The FNPRM proposes selecting between two alternative approaches. One is to raise the unsubsidized bar to 4/1. The other is to end Phase I and put the remaining money into Phase II, which comes later. Certainly the latter approach is better for WISPs in the short term. If the extended Phase I approach is used, you could comment that raising it from 768/200 to 4/1 is excessive, and perhaps say a 1.5/384 standard is more appropriate. Even Canopy 100 can probably claim that (if it's not loaded), though YMMV.

So being on the map doesn't hurt and may help.

From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf Of Doug Clark
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2012 10:01 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] FCC Connect America Fund -- It's Baaaackkkk!

Correct me if I am wrong here Rick, it will be fruitless to do the map unless you are able to maintain customer speeds of 4megs down and 1 meg up. If you service your customer at speeds lower

than that then it does not matter, the FCC will fund the Telcos.......

 --
 Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
 ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/