On 7/28/2013 2:20 PM, Jeremy wrote:
So while I am de minimus should I not be charging a USF fee? You stated that I cannot charge more than I pass along but if I pass along nothing until I am at the 10K mark then am I not supposed to bill it until that point?

Carlos has good advice -- consult a lawyer. (I'm not a lawyer but I play an engineer on TV.) I just checked with one who could not render actual "advice". Rather, he explained, "This is one of the mysteries of USF."

The FCC forgot about this case when they did the rules. So the usual practice seems to be to collect the fees. You might after all be passing them along to your wholesale provider, who is charging USF to you. But if you do go over the $10k limit, then you could owe retroactively, and in that case you want the money in the bank! So unless they've clarified this in the instructions on the Form 499s (be warned; they do that sometimes, and you don't know the rule until you read the new fine print), you can pass along the fee you would be collecting under safe harbor, and apply it to the USF charges you're being hit with.

I don't think these crazy fees are a reason to avoid voice services, but they are a pain to administer. The FCC is terrible about writing clear rules.