Gas regulators have to have access to ambient pressure to work properly, so
they can't be "completely inside" of the tank.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_regulator

However not all propane regulator designs have the same degree of
vulnerability to icing and ones deployed outside in cold environments by
professionals will likely be loss prone to icing than the Chinese stuff at
the local hardware store.

Icing is caused by the Ideal Gas Law.  PV=nRT.  A law of physics that would
be silly to argue about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pv%3Dnrt

Also, there are devices out there designed to connect to a Propane tank
without an intermediate regulator.

Large tanks of propane can benefit from thermal inertia for a while during
cold snaps.  But arguing about the -43.6F limit on Propane would be similar
to arguing about the law of gravity.

And my only point has been to remind people about the cold limits that exist
for propane and propane regulators and to accommodate those limitations in
your designs accordingly.
I hope this helps.

Christopher Erickson
Consulting Engineer