On 1/8/2014 12:08 PM, Sean Heskett wrote:
> the part 15 PTP 24Ghz band is only from 24000-24200Mhz (200Mhz of
> spectrum) i would assume that the doppler radar for cars is in another
> slice of the 24Ghz spectrum.  as far as i know 24000-24200Mhz is for
> part 15 PTP only.
>
> shouldn't be an issue.
>
> 2 cents
>
> -sean

I opened the rule book to see what might apply.  It turns out that field
distubance sensor vehicular systems are allowed, per 15.252, to operate
from 24000-29000, but with a maximum EIRP of only -41 dBm.  And
"Operation shall occur only upon specific activation, such as upon
starting the vehicle, changing gears, or engaging a turn signal."  So it
won't run all the time.  This, then, probably isn't what they're using
for two-vehicles-away collision avoidance radar. The rules in 15.253 for
77 GHz systems are much looser, and that seems to be where the cars are
headed.

--
  Fred R. Goldstein      k1io     fred "at" interisle.net
  Interisle Consulting Group