Paolo,

As Mike notes, WISPA has had a number of webinars on the topic. Here is my
understanding of what's to be expected, in part, of the emerging rules. NOTE:
THIS MAY NOT BE WHAT ACTUALLY EMERGES AS THE RULES, it comprises MY educated
expectation. None have a better understanding though than Steve Coran and it is
well worth a consultation fee for any U.S.-based operator to have a dedicated
call with him.

I will offer some international perspective here as well for your benefit there
in Italy.

- 100 MHz of spectrum, divided in 10 MHz channels per census blocks (tricky)
- Of this, 30-50% MAY be auctioned off, though "auction" process is likely not
to follow traditional cumbersome process, but some low burden streamlined method
- remaining 70% (7 10 MHz channels) will be open for free, opportunistic use
- Of this, it seems FCC may limit any individual operator from acquiring more
that 30% (3 channels)
- "ownership" likely to be purchased in yearly blocks, up to 3 years max perhaps
- HOWEVER...even if one "owns" some of this spectrum, others can use it IF the
owners have not built in the spectrum. And then, once and if the owners DO
build, the borg (as I call it) like Google or Spectrum Bridge who'll be
dynamically managing base station channels (all connected to the cloud) will
relocate the opportunistic user to open spectrum, returning back the exclusive
spectrum to the owner now actively using it
- this borg will have the government contract to manage the spectrum following
a methodology akin to how TVWS works currently, though management may be more
granular (if Google has its way, and I think more granularity is better, as it
would open use more broadly)
- potential power seems undetermined at this point, but may exceed current 3.65
for hyper rural areas, similar to the Canadian model (could be huge)
- there will likely be a prioritization scheme whereby certain defined sets of
users will granted use priority, meaning the borg moves other users away from
their active channels, moving them to open channels

I understand some of this sounds impossible, but that's because many of us
don't yet understand what's meant by "dynamic" as it relates to machines
talking to machines in real time.

A reason I submit this all matters internationally is that U.S. adoption of
this band for commercial use will help drive scale, further reducing cost
globally and encouraging lots of device makers to build devices (what the LTE
world calls "UEs" for the band -- a cell phone is a UE, as is a fixed wireless
CPE). I fully expect things like IP cameras, traffic systems, parking meters,
etc. to have embedded 3.5x LTE chipsets, not to mention gobs of traditional
fixed wireless "UE" options.

Over the years, I've been pretty spot on with my market predictions re fixed
wireless -- which companies survive, which spectrum comes along, use uptake,
etc. -- and in some cases I've played a literal direct role in enabling it (see
my comments in this FCC transcript re advised rules for 3.65 band way back in
2002, 3 years before it was released
http://transition.fcc.gov/sptf/files/0801fcc.pdf). I am hoping my streak
continues.

Patrick Leary