From: <wireless-boun...@wispa.org> on behalf of Daniel Mullen
<daniel.mul...@metrocom.ca>
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 2017 at 8:19 AM
To: WISPA General List <wireless@wispa.org>
Subject: Re: [WISPA] What would you use a drone for?

Andreas, beware!

If you are using is commercially, you MUST be licensed, and if you are using it
'for recreation' there now are strict rules.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/flying-drone-safely-legally.html
Rules for recreational drones
If you fly your drone for fun and it weighs more than 250 g and up to 35 kg,
you do not need special permission from Transport Canada to fly.

Follow the basic safety rules below. Not doing so may put lives, aircraft and
property at risk. If you fly where you are not allowed or choose not to follow
any of the rules below, you could face fines of up to $3,000.
Do not fly your drone:

  *   higher than 90 m above the ground
  *   closer than 75 m from buildings, vehicles, vessels, animals, people/crowds
  *   closer than nine km from the centre of an aerodrome (any airport,
heliport, seaplane base or anywhere that aircraft take-off and land)
  *   within controlled or restricted airspace
  *   within nine km of a forest fire
  *   where it could interfere with police or first responders
  *   at night or in clouds
  *   if you can’t keep it in sight at all times
  *   if you are not within 500 m of your drone
  *   if your name, address, and telephone number are not clearly marked on
your drone.

The list above is an overview of the new rules for recreational drone users.
Consult the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model
Aircraft<https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-respecting-use-model-aircraft.html>
 for the full list of provisions. Members of the Model Aeronautics Association
of Canada (MAAC)<http://www.maac.ca/en/> who operate at MAAC sanctioned fields
or events are not subject to these rules.

[mage removed by sender. []]

Flying for fun? New rules for recreational drone
users<https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-opssvs/Infographic_-_New_rules_for_recreational_drone_users_EN_2.pdf>
(PDF, 4 MB)
Tips for recreational drone users:

  *   Fly your drone during daylight and in good weather.
  *   Keep your drone where you can see it with your own eyes – not through an
on-board camera, monitor or smartphone.
  *   Make sure your drone is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself,
for example: Are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?
  *   Respect the privacy of others. Avoid flying over private property or
taking photos or videos without permission.

Non-recreational drone: If you fly your drone (or UAV) for work or research, or
if it weighs more than 35 kg, you must get a Special Flight Operations
Certificate (SFOC). The SFOC tells you how and where you are allowed to use
your UAV.

For more information on the SFOC, read Getting permission to fly your
drone<https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/getting-permission-fly-drone.html>.
Does Transport Canada approve schools that can teach me to fly my UAV safely?
We do not approve UAV training organizations or recognize certificates for UAV
operations.

All UAV pilots are responsible to ensure they have the right level of
knowledge, experience and skills required to safely operate. You may access UAV
pilot training from sources including:

  *   UAV operators and manufacturers
  *   manned aviation flight training organizations
  *   third parties

Legal requirements
When flying a UAV (non-recreational drone) in Canada, you must:

  *   follow the rules in the Canadian Aviation Regulations:
     *   section 602.41 – Unmanned air
vehicles<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/SOR-96-433/FullText.html#h-789>
  *   respect the Criminal Code<http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/>,
your provincial Trespass Act, as well as all applicable municipal, provincial,
and territorial laws that apply

When flying a model aircraft (recreational drone) in Canada you must:

  *   follow the rules of the Interim Order Respecting the Use of Model
Aircraft<https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-respecting-use-model-aircraft.html>

Transport Canada inspectors investigate reports of unsafe and illegal drone
use. We may involve local police if other laws (e.g., the Criminal Code and
privacy laws) have been broken.

You could face serious consequences – including up to $25,000 in fines and/or
jail time – if you:

  *   put aircraft at risk
  *   fly where you are not allowed
  *   endanger anyone’s safety

For example:

  *   If you fly where your drone recreationally where you are not allowed or
choose not to follow any of the rules outlined in the Interim Order Respecting
the Use of Model
Aircraft<https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/interim-order-respecting-use-model-aircraft.html>
 you could face fines of up to $3,000.
  *   If you fly a UAV without an SFOC and should have one, we may fine up to
$5,000 for a person and $25,000 for a corporation.
  *   If you do not follow the requirements of your SFOC, we may fine up to
$3,000 for a person and $15,000 for a corporation.

New regulations
Transport Canada is developing new regulations to address the safety
requirements, growing popularity, and economic importance of UAVs. Proposed
changes include:

  *   new flight rules
  *   aircraft marking and registration requirements
  *   knowledge testing
  *   minimum age limits
  *   pilot permits for certain UAV pilots

We published a Notice of Proposed
Amendment<http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/2/NPA-APM/actr.aspx?id=17&aType=1&lang=eng>
 in May 2015 to highlight these changes. Canadians will be able to comment on
the proposed amendments when they are published in Canada
Gazette<http://canadagazette.gc.ca/gazette/home-accueil-eng.php>, Part 1.
Related links

  *   Getting permission to fly your
drone<https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/opssvs/getting-permission-fly-drone.html>