> >> Does it work on Windows? I do not remember to know anyone GUI
> >> application without option to change language by GUI. Do you know how
> >> to change locale after running application? (QEvent::LocaleChange ?)
> >> If this is not possible then dynamic change application language will
> >> be lost.
> >
> > +1. Most software I use allow me to manually override the language
> without messing with the environment variables.
>
> Do you use any GUI applications other than Wireshark?

Yes, tons of as I'm on Windows :)

> On what operating system do you use them?

See above

> Do they all offer a manual language override, so that you can set a
> particular application's language independently of your personal "global"
> language setting?

The only ones I can think to supporting multiple languages without a GUI
option to set it are...  command line based coming from Linux world (like
mercurial) and here I do use the environment variable. But it's more
painful for a lazy guy and not a common use case for a standard Windows
user I think.
Moreover I prefer to have a good interface in English rather than a partial
/ bad French translation :)

> > And here we are talking about a functionality we already have.
>
> This is functionality we have in the Qt version, which most people aren't
> using, and which is still incomplete.  I.e., it's functionality we have in
> a version under development.

Agreed, but it's also the first time we introduce language support so it's
the right time to discuss this kind of thing.

> I do not at all agree with, and will never agree with, the belief that
> removing existing functionality is inherently wrong.  If the functionality
> is unused, or is rarely used and if its capabilities can be achieved in
> another way, I consider that a very good reason to consider removing it.

I understand your point. On the other point it's really common practice (at
least on Windows) to allow user to select the language from the GUI.

> > Removing it would be a big loss in my opinion.
>
> In what ways is it used that its disappearance would be a big loss rather
> than, at most, a minor loss?

For me: a minor loss as I know the environment variables allowing to
override it. For the common Windows user, it might be a bigger loss.

Pascal.