Roland,

The setup in Witango 6.0 + on OS X is that the Studio uses JDBC to introspect
the database (to load it into the Studio Database tab for drag and drop).

If you setup a Witango Data Source under the JDBC section, then the Studio will
create TAFs that expect to use JDBC on the server, however, if you setup a
Witango Data Source under the ODBC section, then the TAFs will look for ODBC
DSNs when executed by the server.

In this way, the OS X Studio can use JDBC to load the database, but you can
still use ODBC on the server.

Starting in 10.6 Apple has mostly dropped support for ODBC. I suspect this
trend continued in 10.7. The iODBC subsystem is still present, but the manager
is removed, JAVA support is non-existent and I'm not sure how well they are
keeping up the functionality in Cocoa. I've tested with OpenLink on 10.6 and
found that product to be a good solution.

As things stand right now, Apple is neither supporting ODBC nor JDBC/Java, so
database connectivity is being left out in the cold. Java 7 may resolve the
JDBC issues and there's a good chance that if it does, we'll standardize on
Java 7 & JDBC for connectivity support on OSX.

I may also build in native connectors to Oracle (OCI), MSSQL (FreeTDS) and
FileMaker (FMXML) but there are no immediate plans to do so.

Robert