The problem is that you're not specifying the
Product/@UpgradeCodeattribute. If you do, this should pass. The simple
test you provided did.
There is a bug in the code we will consider for WiX v3.5 but with a simple
workaround and WiX v3 shutting down for RTM (only high-pri bugs) we will not
fix this in 3.0.

Note that just because you specify the UpgradeCode it won't create an
upgrade package. More is involved (like authoring the Upgrade table and
RemoveExistingProducts) so your behavior won't change.