Hi,

We use MSI Major Upgrade to update our products on servers. In
the light of some recent failures during upgrade, we have been working towards
hardening our installation package so that a reboot can be scheduled in the
worst case. I have been looking at various Installer properties/actions on msdn
related to REBOOT. One thing I am still unsure is the cases where the Installer
would initiate a reboot vs where the package itself needs to do so. It would be
great if I can get the following questions answered -

1.
Initially, if MsiSystemRebootPending
property is set to true, Is it recommended that the installer package schedules
a reboot? Which Installer action (ForceReboot or ScheduleReboot)
is recommended here?

2.
I read on msdn that in case of installation over
in-use files, ReplacedInUseFiles  is set to true and Installer
schedules a reboot. I believe in such cases, no action is needed from the
installation packages. Is my understanding correct? Also, Is there a way to
easily reproduce this scenario? I have tried with processes having handles open
to files being replaced but have never seen the property being set to true by
the installer (I have not seen a reboot either).

3.
Are there any other error cases that need to be
handled by an Installer package and a reboot needs to be scheduled?

4.
We run “msiexec” command from a batch file. Do
we need to check for some special exit codes from msiexec.exe and take reboot
actions
accordingly?

Regards,

Surya