Asthma rates were lower in this picture

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.historyimages.com/Vintage-NY/i/Lower-East-Side.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.historyimages.com/Vintage-NY/Lower-East-Side.htm&usg=__yazcfdX6wVGY8hEKUB65pvQ3vYY=&h=471&w=600&sz=68&hl=en&start=20&sig2=6B-FkZviguXISOfBSyeaKw&um=1&tbnid=TArUf-O72JCiXM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=135&ei=F8eDSceiIN64tweVpZ3OCQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlower%2Beast%2Bside%2Bold%2Bphotos%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4TSHB_en___US299%26sa%3DN

But higher in this one (80 years later)

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.gothamist.com/attachments/jake/2007_12_powerwash.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gothamist.com/2007/01/04/the_lower_east.php&usg=__Aep9lztLq_A0O_bfLBk06T68yY0=&h=717&w=640&sz=111&hl=en&start=16&sig2=_pu-MeT0uUx6GxxEWqLPHw&tbnid=nf-pZkLFBpRxyM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=125&ei=eceDSej2I6C6twf6xNXQCQ&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlower%2Beast%2Bside%2Bold%2Bphotos%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4TSHB_en___US299%26sa%3DG

Now do you know what the main culprit is?