I was never sure since, on my last host (which is what I think was causing the problem since they were crap), I used to use a redirect on 404 and google's webmaster tools refused to validate my site as it said the 404 pages returned 200 status. I now don't have any problems since I moved to DreamHost, but since my host said it was my fault for redirecting 404's I just assumed it was a bad idea to redirect 404...
Lieing *&%*£&%£ that they were. I still think having a 404 page is more informative that redirections though. :P Paul. 2009/2/19 scribu <[email protected]> > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:10 AM, Paul Robinson <[email protected] > >wrote: > > > I was always told not too, especially since Google wouldn't be able to > > distingush a 404 from a 200. I suppose it's each to their own though. > > > > Paul. > > > > That's simply not true. Anyone who has a Webmasters Tools account can tell > you that: There are diagnostics for 404s, redirection loops and network > errors. > > -- > http://scribu.net > _______________________________________________ > wp-testers mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-testers > _______________________________________________ wp-testers mailing list [email protected] http://lists.automattic.com/mailman/listinfo/wp-testers
