Jean Baudrillard's The Conspiracy of Art.

I am enjoying this text especially as I both agree
with and disagree with the author in several
registers. His use of the texts of Jarry
is interesting and admirable, but the overall
scope of the work is negative, if forthrightly
so. It's the sort of 'is it really negation' which turns
the notion of aporia into an art itself, and I
think this is the "real" art of Baudrillard
in this text. Baudrillard is probably one
of the finest 'sculptors' of hermeneutic aporia
there is..(like I know. gawd whatever) Nowhere does he really explore
philosophy as an art within the text, or tear down the walls
between art, science, and literature although
he does make forays into the nexus of post-structuralist ideas
in a way which makes one think he perhaps self-
contaminated himself abit further than he lets
on. If one views the book itself as a meta-text,
as philosophy as art, then the one punctum which isn't drowned
in the fevered cross-hatchings of his aporia-opera
is his notion of the destructiveness of banality.
This is has been one of my deformed underthoughts for
many years, and JB gives an excellent rendering
of the subject.. I haven't had the time to give the book my
full attention if such a thing exists, but I am planning to
read it next to Virilio and Lotringer's The Accident of
Art but I've barely even had a chance to scan it though.
Lotringer does mention Baudrillard's book on the second
page of The Accident. There is some discussion of
the aesthetics of futurism with reference to terrorism
which is certainly interesting, a theme which is also
present in a similiar way with reference to theories
of the event in Sanford Kwinter's work Architectures
of Time which I had paired with Jonathan Crary's
Suspension of Perception.. I wanted to follow up
on the co-editors of in my humble opinion one of the
best Zone books Zone 6 Incorporations. The native
oppositions between the sets are telling and fascinating.
Virilio and Baudrillard roughly are deconstructing 'art'
while Kwinter and Crary exploit the archive to make
careful readings of perception and social evolution
through the lens of the arts.. Of the two, Kwinter's
is the text more weighted toward the literary with its
explications of immanence in the work of Kafka and
within the structures of unbuilt furturist buildings, there's
also a good deal of Bergsonism.. The Crary is much
closer to the work of Barbara Maria Stafford with its
deep perusal of medical and popular culture materials..
There is also something of an agreement between
the sets, in that explicitly the Virilio and Baudrillard treat
Modernism (especially early) and its precursors as something of a swan-song
to authenticity while the Crary and Kwinter do so implicitly
in the selection of their subject matter. I find the contrasts
and oppositions between these sets of texts to be especially
fruitful in thinking about my own hairbrained view of
things and also some small comfort in their radicalized outsider/insider
viewpoints.. There is still a good deal of the old Cynics or Kynics
in the sense of Slojterdijk, camp left and it is heartening. Both
the Baudrillard and the Virilio perform something of a Diogenesian
urinary critique on art's toga with the difference that art itself
these days loves to drink piss, though I'm sure neither of them live
in a tub or expect to find an honest man.. though it is probably mostly
whores who pay their way.. after all what idea isn't prostituted anymore.. the
world
mind is a brothel and the sex is as cold and precise as a freshly
lubed robot, automatic.. I guess the thing I really take away from these texts
is a marvelous sense of subjectivity and a lens into another
way of seeing.. which is curiously resonant with a section
in Charles Stross' weirdo cyber-darwinian creative commons freak-opera
Accelerando where sentient alien parasitical corporations barter in
consciousness uploads,
basically using captured digitized minds as money to sample and taste their
subjectivies, their alieness, and all of this within an ancient transgalactic
router
whose owners deleted themselves to free themselves from their own
Artificially intelligent spam.