It's more to do with usability than accessibility, as it affects all
users IMHO. But as a start, a logical directory structure is important,
so long as it's logical to the user not the owner.
<<

Well, I agree and disagree.

I think "logical to the user not the owner" is spot in for the website
navigation.

But the actual directory structure, where you put your content, you need to
own that. And the #1 rule I aim for is that you don't want to change your
directory structure (whereas you quite likely will want to adapt your
website navigation).

Because the directories will be reflected in the URL, you want it to be
stable because you don't want the URLs to change. I'm not going to list all
the reasons why here... this article by TBL on the topic is excellent.
http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI