Taco,

While text will stop at the edge of a floated item, borders and background
colours will extend under a floated item - this is normal float behaviour.
You can see this in operation here:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/introduction18.htm
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/floatutorial/introduction19.htm

The only way to stop this occurring is to either (1) apply a right-margin to
the comment div, or (2) fake it slightly by putting a white box around the
floated orange nav (which I would not recommend)

Sorry :(
Russ

> I have a DIV on my page that runs through the Navigation menu, I'd like it
> not to run through the navigation menu.
> Although I would like it to be 100% in width, thus taking up all the space
> it is allowed to take up.
>
> I have been trying several thing with it, but to no avail. I also validated
> my page in the W3C validator service as WSG recommends doing before filling
> up the mailing list with junk.
> The only problem that remained after I validated was that I had to convert &
> to & in my links, but I'll save that task for later as I don't think
> that is the issue here.
>
> The link to the problem
> http://www.tacofleur.com/index/global/comment/?id=9&action=view
>
> I hope this email is more explanatory and I appreciate any input or help
> from anyone.
>
> With kind regards,
> Taco Fleur ;-)

> The discussion list for http://webstandardsgroup.org/