Yes, this is correct behaviour. The background of your comments div should
slide under the floated item - the right nav. The foreground (the text)
should not slide under, instead it should stop against the edge of the
floated item.

There is a good reason for it. The reason for this is to do with an element
that is longer than a floated item. Best explained with this example:
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/jobs/css/floatandborder.htm

If the CSS spec asked browsers to stop borders and background colours from
going under floats, it would be very hard to render borders when the conent
flows around a float... The border would have to be an inset rectangle shape

The borders would have to look like this (very hard for browsers to render):
http://www.maxdesign.com.au/jobs/css/floatandborder2.htm

Make sense?
Russ